October 11, 2013
Categories: Self

Beth Berry

It’s my birthday! and in honor of myself (gosh, why is that so hard for us to say?) I’ve decided to reflect on the past year and note a few inner accomplishments I’m particularly proud of.

I know, I know, big spender, right? And not only cheap but a tad narcissistic? Nah, I’m not buying that either. Consider how many other annual achievements we recognize and celebrate guiltlessly: weight loss, increased earnings, a larger, fancier home? Not one of these are questioned by our culture (but in fact, encouraged), yet acknowledge personal growth and suddenly you’re an egomaniac.

That has-been story aside, if self love is something we recognize as essential, not only to our experience of joy and the fulfillment of our purpose on this planet, but to every single earthly encounter, we’d best get used to recognizing growth and celebrating it at least as often as we reflect on our shortcomings and strivings, don’t you think? Okay, so maybe not that often, but at least, say…once a year? I’ll go first.

A Year’s Worth of Accomplishments I’m Particularly Proud Of:

• I finally let go of the baby phase (for real) and in doing so, connected with my daughters more mindfully and joyfully.
  • I dropped of a couple of really big stories I’d been holding along my spiritual walk and now realize just how heavy they actually were.
  • I recognized my reluctance to rely upon others due to a lingering pursuit of perfection.
  • I sought guidance from trusted sources (including you!), listened with my heart open and now feel pointed in a much more authentic direction.
  • I’ve learned that vulnerability is not a sign of weakness at all but a door into unseen worlds of possibility.
  • I sought friends and experiences based on the way they inspired rather distracted me.
  • I got honest about my part in mending my marriage and feel more connected to my man than I have in a decade.
  • I embraced this town and its challenges, discovering jewel after sand-encrusted jewel.
  • I’ve come to accept love my body like never before and now see aging as journey toward beauty, not away from it.
  • I’ve recognized strengths I never knew I had and others I’d only been pretending to possess.
  • I created healthier boundaries where they needed to be, even when doing so was messy and painful.
  • I learned that in order to receive the fullness of someone else’s love, self love is absolutely essential.

You know the most amazing part, though? Had you asked me before I made this list, I might have described my year as minimally productive or pretty rough or a difficult time of transition. All it took was half an hour of honest reflection to recognize how rich and renewing it really was.

And so, a guiltless, self-affirmed Happy Birthday to me!, cheers to honoring our selves toward the good of us each and us all and a huge hug to every one of you for your (enormous) part in my process. Know that I count you among my greatest gifts and will spill some cerveza in the sand for you esta noche!

Pin It twitter Share on Facebook

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

What's the Big Hurry, Anyway?
Today is My Husband's Birthday
The Ideal Mother
Feel Good Fridays: The Age of ...
Why the World Needs To See Our...
What If We All Quit Judging Th...

23 Comments

1. carrie contey

Beautiful wisdom from a beautiful One. Happy Birthday!

2. Happy Birthday Beth! Libra’s are amazing (said by this Libra). I love reading your blog and FB posts. I wish I could move down and be your new best friend and together we cold save the planet. (That sounds stalker-ish, I swear I am no stalker.) I hope the next year brings you all the happiness you wish for!

Stacie

3. It’s been a good year! Happy birthday and wishes for many more good years to come and you continue to bloom and blossom.

4. Brava! And thank you for sharing your process and an example of celebrating and recognizing growth. “When you show up authentic(ly), you creat space for others to do the same.” Your gift to yourself is also a wonderful gift to the world – an invitation for us all to do the same for ourselves. Happy Birthday!!

5. we were born less than a week apart. explains our adoration for each other… this inspired me to do the same. thank you… and congratulations on an amazing year of growth. i wish you love, laughter and good food. xo

6. Sounds like one helluva good year, indeed! Thank you for continuing to inspire and lead us towards a healthier state of being. May this be the first of many large birthday gifts to you!

7. Good for you!!! Happy Birthday!!

8. Happy Birthday, Beth! You are such an inspiration!!! I’ve gotta see if I can find myself half an hour to think about my growth (so I can get out of the rut of thinking of it as challenging and often miserable). xxoo

9. Happy birthday! Thanks for inspiring us for the last year :) A fan x

10. HAPPY BIRTHDAY WOMAN

11. I love everything about this post! Happy Birthday!

12. Feliz cumpleanos! Had a wonderful communal dinner tonight, and as we all determined how nice it is to potluck and watch our kids run around I thought of you! To you and yours!

13. Good on you!

14. Happy Birthday, Beth! (a day late) I have so enjoyed sharing your journey with you this past year, and I appreciate the reminder to love and celebrate ourselves.

15. Feliz Cumpleanos – the best is yet to come~~ Said by a woman of 71 years who has enjoyed the whole darn adventure, most of the time!

16. Happy Birthday Beth. What a great present to yourself. With a big birthday approaching in a few months, I might just consider giving myself a similar present…feels like a good time!

17. Happy (belated) Birthday! I love your insight about aging being a journey toward beauty. Would you be willing to expand on that?

18. Hooray! Those are amazing accomplishments! Recognizing them is as important as making them, right? Happy birthday.

19. By the way, I thought of you when we were in San Cristobal this summer! I love that city.

20. Thank you for sharing! That was beautiful. :) Many of your accomplishments inspire me to strive for similar things in my journey.

21. Love this post, Beth. Very wise. And happy belated birthday.

22. Hello from Brasil!
    I´ve been quietly following your blog for a while now and today I have to speak up, to wish you a happy birthday and another beautiful trip around the sun! I have to thank you for all your insight, I´m sure you´ve heard this many times before but I feel a sense of connectedness with you through reading your posts. There have been many moments where your words have touched and healed little sores in this young mama´s heart. So here´s to women who INSPIRE! And who radiate love and life! viva!!!